Perpetual Plan B

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Morgan Learns a New Word

When Morgan was about 7, she was watching t.v. one day and a new ad came on. It said, "She's hot, she's sexy, she's...(whatever else it said). Morgan turned to me and said, "What does "sexy" mean?"

I thought about it for a minute, trying to come up with a kid-friendly response. Finally I said, "I guess it's what some people say when they think someone looks good in a swimming suit."

(I know, it was a lame answer, I just couldn't think of anything any better off the top of my head.)

I tried to clarify my definition by adding, "It's also kind of what people say when they think someone is cute, so some people kind of try to mean it as a compliment, but don't go around saying it to your friends, because it's not really the best word to use."

Morgan seemed to accept this answer and I could tell by the look on her face, she was really processing what I had said to her. Again, I said, "I really don't want you to use that word."

She nodded in agreement, really looking like she understood.

Then she said to me, "Don't worry mom. You might be cute, but I don't think you're sexy at all."

No comments: