Perpetual Plan B

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Austin, The Kissing Bandit


Who can resist a face like this?

Austin somehow came up with the idea that he can get anything he wants if he gives me a kiss. If he wants a cookie, he'll say "I'll give you a kiss if you give me one." And really, who can resist that, with his little blinking eyes looking up at you? I can't. Sometimes, when he's feeling lazy, he'll just blow me some kisses.

At home he will give me a kiss for anything from getting him a drink of water to letting him stay up a little bit later at night.

But then it progressed to wanting BIG things like expensive toys at the store. That wasn't so great. Especially when I say no and we are walking through the store and he's saying in a loud voice "Well, I SAID I'd give you a kiss. Don't you want a kiss from your little boy?"

He is so used to giving me kisses for things that it is getting a little annoying. Like in the middle of the night when he crawls into bed with Hal and me. I had him trained to just crawl in and not wake me up because I have a hard time getting back to sleep.

Now he crawls in and finds my face and gives me a big, loud smack on the lips.

I guess I should appreciate it while it lasts. I was raised with parents who didn't hug OR kiss any of us. Someday he probably won't even want to be seen with me, much less give me a big kiss.
I think I need to teach him to give me hugs instead. They're a whole lot quieter in the middle of the night.