Perpetual Plan B

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Austin, the Cereal King

Austin is the king of the cold cereal. He would eat it 24/7 if I let him.

I usually don't buy very exciting cereals, I mostly stick to Cheerios (which I hate), Raisin Bran and Frosted Mini Wheats. There's also our old standby, oatmeal, too. I have to say, I can whip up a mean bowl of Peanut Butter Oatmeal.

Once in a while Hal or I will buy the expensive sweetened cereals. A big problem with those (besides the obvious) is the fact that the kids will go through a whole box in one sitting, especially Austin and Ally.

Right now we have Lucky Charms at our house. I have been using it as kind of a reward for Austin. Today, I was being lazy (because I wanted to get some blogging done) and I said he could have some Lucky Charms with his lunch. I told him he could have them if he had a fruit and a vegetable first.

I had an apple already cut up, but it had been sitting here for a while, so it was starting to go brown.

He said, "I don't want this apple, I want another one that is red and yellow and green and gold......" as he launched into a pretty good rendition of the song from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, using mostly colors found in apples. It was kind of funny.

Not funny enough, though, to win him the Lucky Charms without the healthy stuff first. I got him a new apple (of course I ate the old one, it's what moms do, isn't it?) and also got out some baby carrots.

He sat there for a minute at the bar and then I heard his next try.

He said, "Mom, I really just want the Lucky Charms. I'm not really attracted to the apples or the carrots."

He got the Lucky Charms.

(Where do these kids get these sayings?)

No comments: