Perpetual Plan B

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Do I Have A Deep-Seated Psychological Problem?

Somebody please tell me.

I can handle people being mean to me, or just not-nice in general.

What brings me to tears every time is when people are extra nice. I just can't handle it. I don't know why I am so shocked when people do nice things. There really are a lot of nice people in my life.

One day when the girls were little, around 5 and 2, I was grocery shopping. The kids do usually get along well, but that day they were kind of fighting. A nice lady in line in front of me told me to go ahead of her. I said "No, we're fine." but she insisted. I burst into tears right then and there and cried the whole time they were ringing up my groceries. I was mortified.

Also, at my 20 year class reunion two different boys from my class said very nice things to me or about me to Hal and I broke down in tears both times. I was so embarrassed! What is up with that?

I do have to admit, I cry very often during happy commercials. My kids have learned to expect it, but that doesn't stop me from trying to hide my face during a particularly touching part of a movie or t.v. show.

Is there some sort of behavior modification or a pill I can take to fix this particular problem? If so, please let me know because it causes me great embarrassment.

No comments: