Perpetual Plan B

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mime School


Morgan is at that age where she is looking at potential colleges, which makes me a little melancholy, since I really do enjoy having her around. Most of the time.

Unfortunately, her search for which school she wants to attend has also inconvenienced me a bit, which is not good. She filled out some survey on the internet and put my e-mail address in for the contact info. I've now been getting all sorts of junk in my in-box. I've been looking for some way to pay her back for a while now.

She has recently taken the PLAN test, which is sort of a practice test for the SAT and she ended up doing VERY well. I'm so proud of her! Because of this, she has now been getting letters from LOTS of colleges and universities. Some well known, some not so well-known and some that I've never even heard of or dreamed that they were even in existence.

On Tuesday, she got a letter from the Colorado School of Mines. Mines? I didn't think you had to go to school for that, I thought you just had to be born into a coal mining family or learn on the job or something.


Anyway, I got the bright idea to play with the envelope a bit and, with the help of some white-out, the school of "Mines" became the school of "Mimes", complete with a little logo of a mime that was very obviously hand drawn by yours truly. (I just noticed the mime has six fingers on one hand.)



Morgan came home from school and we had a little chuckle about it and I asked her if she could tell that I had drawn the picture, and she said it was pretty obvious. I didn't really think much more about it until about 10:00 that night when she came home from her Young Women meeting. She came into the kitchen with the envelope.

"You didn't open that yet?" I asked her. I open everything immediately, because I'm naturally curious. It's one of my better qualities. (She got three more letters yesterday, including one from Duke University, that she still hasn't touched. I may open them myself if she doesn't get around to it soon.)

So, she sat down and started reading.

"A school for individuals who like math and science?" she read, sounding a bit confused.

"Engineering?" she said next.

She then read on until she came to the part in the letter that identified the school again, as the Colorado School of Mines.

"Mines?" she said out loud as I burst into laughter, realizing that she really did think there was a school for mimes that she'd been invited to attend.

"I thought you said you knew that I'd messed with the envelope." I said, still laughing.

"Well, I knew that you drew the picture, I just didn't know you'd changed anything else." she answered. I then asked her what she had done to qualify for such a prestigious mime school to be pursuing her. She didn't think that was funny at all.


"I did think it was kind of a random place to have that kind of a school." she said sheepishly, as I continued to laugh uncontrollably.

Seriously, a MIME school? She really didn't even bat an eye at the thought of it. It almost makes me wonder if she's looked into mime schools before.

I went to tell Ally what had happened and Morgan was not at all amused when Ally and I acted like mimes for the rest of the night. We had a rousing game of tug-of-war and locked ourselves in glass boxes over and over. Morgan was especially unhappy that I had mentioned it at all to anyone else.

In fact, I think she'll be pretty unhappy that I'm writing about it on the blog. She's still a little sensitive about the whole incident.


So, if you see her, please do me a favor. Don't say anything.

Just give her a big smile..............






and then pretend like you're stuck in a big glass box.

(Actually, please don't. I'm already in enough trouble. She'll probably make me take down this post and I think it's a funny story.)

1 comment:

The Gathering Place said...

That is pretty funny. If people thought they could make some money from a school like that, there would soon be plenty of them around. How are the moving plans coming along?
JoAnn