Perpetual Plan B

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Morgan: A Young Girl With Attitude

When Morgan was young, she was very, um, lively. Well, that's not exactly it. Precocious? No, that kind of sounds bad. Let me give you two examples of her behavior and you can decide for yourself.

When Morgan was three we were at my parents' house. My dad had just come in from doing chores. (Or maybe not. Sometimes he doesn't change right after doing chores, which drives my mom bananas.) He was bouncing Morgan on his knee when all of a sudden she wrinkled up her nose and said, "Ewww Grandpa, you stink. You need to change your pants."

I was quite shocked and just looked at her for a second and then she started carrying on again. "Grandpa, you really smell bad. You stink. You need to change your pants!"

I was embarrassed, so I said "Morgan, that isn't very nice. Don't talk to Grandpa like that. You need to be polite."

She looked at me, somewhat surprised, so I reiterated my stance. "Morgan, you need to be polite."

Again she looked at me and then back to my dad and without missing a beat she said, "Grandpa you stink. You need to change your pants, PLEASE!"




She was not quite three when this next incident happened. I know this for sure because I was pregnant with Ally and she was born before Morgan was three.

Somewhere Morgan, unfortunately, got the idea that anyone without a flat stomach (which is most people) have a "baby in their tummy".

I took her with me to Schreibers one day to pick up my check. A bunch of people, most of whom were men that I didn't know very well, were standing around in a semi-circle chatting. Morgan walked up to each of them and poked them in the stomach one by one and said, "You have a baby in your tummy. And you have a baby in your tummy. And you have a baby in your tummy." etc.

It was very embarrassing, but I really hoped that since she was so little they might not really know what she was saying.

Well, I really should have found a way to nip that in the bud because the next week I was at my parents' house again because my aunt and her new husband were there visiting, along with my grandma and my other uncle and aunt. They were all sitting in a big row across the couch and chair.

Morgan started right into her same routine of "You've got a baby in your tummy, and you've got a baby in your tummy....", until she came to my Aunt Shirley, who I need to mention has quite a large chest, and Morgan's eyes got really big and she said, "And you've got TWO babies in your tummy!"

I have never been more grateful for the fact that Aunt Shirley has a good sense of humor.

No comments: